Making your own oat milk at home is a simple and affordable way to enjoy a creamy, plant-based milk alternative. Plus, it’s a great way to use up any leftover oats you might have in your pantry. Here’s how to make oat milk at home in just a few easy steps:
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 4 cups water
- Optional: sweetener (maple syrup or agave nectar), vanilla extract, or a pinch of salt for flavor
- Rinse the oats under cold water and place them in a blender with the water.
- Blend the oats and water on high speed for 1-2 minutes, or until the oats are broken down and the mixture is smooth.
- Pour the oat mixture through a fine-mesh strainer or cheesecloth into a large bowl.
- Gently squeeze the strainer or cheesecloth to extract as much liquid as possible. Discard the solids.
- Transfer the oat milk to a clean jar or container and store it in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- For a sweeter version, add 1-2 tablespoons of sweetener to the blender along with the oats and water.
- For a vanilla flavor, add 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract to the blender along with the oats and water.
- For a slightly salty flavor, add a pinch of salt to the blender along with the oats and water.
- If you prefer a thicker oat milk, use less water. If you prefer a thinner oat milk, use more water.
- If you have a nut milk bag, you can use that instead of a strainer or cheesecloth to strain the oat mixture.
- Oat milk will separate slightly in the fridge, so give it a good shake before using.
Enjoy your homemade oat milk in your favorite recipes or as a simple and refreshing drink on its own.