Eggnog is a rich, creamy holiday drink that is traditionally made with eggs, milk, cream, sugar, and spices like nutmeg and cinnamon. It is often spiked with rum to give it a boozy kick. While store-bought eggnog is readily available during the holiday season, making your own from scratch is a fun and rewarding experience. Plus, you can customize the ingredients to suit your own taste preferences. Here’s a recipe for homemade eggnog that you can try at home:
- 2 egg yolks
- 3 tbs sugar
- 2oo ml milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Ground nutmeg
- Ground cinnamon
- 3 tbs rum (optional)
- In a medium bowl, beat the egg yolks until they are light in color. Gradually add the sugar, beating until the mixture is thick and creamy.
- In a saucepan, heat the milk and cream over medium heat until steaming. Gradually add the hot milk mixture to the egg yolk mixture, stirring constantly.
- Pour the mixture back into the saucepan and cook over low heat. Stir in the nutmeg and cinnamon.
- Let the mixture cool to room temperature, then stir in the rum, if using.
- Transfer the eggnog in a Cupffee. Serve garnished with a sprinkle of nutmeg or cinnamon.
- For a non-alcoholic version, omit the rum and add an extra 1/2 cup of milk.
- For a richer, thicker eggnog, use only heavy cream and omit the milk.
- You can also add a splash of vanilla extract or a few tablespoons of maple syrup for additional flavor.
Enjoy your homemade eggnog as a festive holiday drink or serve it at your next holiday party. Cheers!
Watch the full recipe in our YouTube channel: